Customize cart page â€” that is a vital component of an e-commerce website. serving as a critical touchpoint for customers. Providing a key opportunity to drive sales and enhance the overall user experience of the website
A well-designed and optimized cart page can help e-commerce stores,
- Stand out from their competitors.
- Increase customer satisfaction.
- Drive business growth.
Customizing the cart page can provide a wide range of benefits for e-commerce stores.
- Improved user experience.
- Increased conversions.
- Enhanced branding and customer loyalty.
- Reduced customer service inquiries.
- A competitive advantage in the online marketplace.
What is a cart page ?
An e-commerce website’s cart page, sometimes referred to as a shopping cart page or checkout page. It is the place where customers can inspect the items they have added to their shopping basket. They can check them before continuing to the checkout process to complete their purchase. The cart page typically displays a summary of the products or services that the customer has selected. It includes the item name, price, quantity, and any applicable discounts or promotions.
In the context of an e-commerce store, the cart page is an essential component of the online shopping experience. It plays a critical role in converting visitors into customers and increasing the overall revenue of the store.
The cart page provides,
- Customers with a clear and concise summary of their shopping cart.
- Helping them keep track of the items they intend to purchase.
- Providing a sense of control over their shopping experience.
The cart page is especially significant since it has a large impact on the entire user experience of the website. Customers may leave their purchase and explore for alternative online retailers if the cart page is poorly designed or confusing. A well-designed cart page, on the other hand, that is simple to use and contains all of the necessary information, may make the shopping experience more delightful, increasing the likelihood of customers completing their purchase and returning to the store in the future.
Why you need to customize cart page ?
Customizing the cart page can provide a wide range of benefits for e-commerce stores. Some of the most significant benefits include:
- Improved user experience:
- A customized cart page can give a smoother, more user-friendly buying experience, making it easier for clients to complete their purchase and enhancing their website happiness.
- Increased conversions:
- By optimizing the design and functionality of the cart page, e-commerce stores can reduce cart abandonment rates and increase the likelihood of customers completing their purchase, leading to higher sales and revenue.
- Enhanced branding and customer loyalty:
- A customized cart page can help e-commerce stores to reinforce their branding and messaging, providing a more cohesive and memorable shopping experience that can help to build customer loyalty and encourage repeat business.
- Reduced customer service inquiries:
- A well-designed cart page that provides clear and comprehensive information about shipping, taxes, and other important details can help to reduce the number of customer service inquiries and support requests, saving time and resources for the e-commerce store.
- Competitive advantage:
- A customized cart page can help e-commerce stores to stand out from their competitors, providing a unique and memorable shopping experience that can help to attract and retain customers in a crowded online marketplace.
How to customize WooCommerce cart page?
WooCommerce is a popular e-commerce platform that allows users to create and customize their online store. Here are the steps to customize the cart page in WooCommerce:
- Create a child theme:
- Before making any changes to the cart page, it’s important to create a child theme to ensure that your modifications don’t get overwritten when you update your theme.
- Locate the cart page template:
- The cart page template is located in the WooCommerce plugin folder, under ‘woocommerce/templates/cart/cart.php’. Copy this file to your child theme folder under ‘woocommerce/cart/cart.php’.
- Make changes to the cart page template:
- Open the cart.php file in a code editor and make the desired changes. You can modify the layout, add or remove fields, change text, and more. WooCommerce provides a range of hooks and filters that you can use to customize the cart page.
- Save your changes:
- Save the modified cart.php file in your child theme folder.
- Preview your changes:
- Go to your website and add a product to the cart to see how the changes you made to the cart page are displayed.
- Repeat as needed:
- You can continue to make changes to the cart page by modifying the cart.php file in your child theme folder until you achieve the desired result.
In addition to modifying the cart.php file, there are several plugins available that can help you customize the cart page in WooCommerce. We have one, ShopShape.
Common mistakes to avoid
Customizing the cart page on an e-commerce store can be a great way to improve user experience and boost sales. However, there are several common mistakes that store owners can make when attempting to customize this page. Here are a few pitfalls to avoid and tips for ensuring a successful customization process:
Making the page too complex:
One of the biggest mistakes that store owners make when customizing the cart page is trying to add too many features or design elements. While it can be tempting to add lots of bells and whistles, this can actually make the page harder to navigate and lead to a higher bounce rate. Keep the design clean and simple, with a clear call-to-action and minimal distractions.
Not testing the page thoroughly:
Before going live with any changes to your cart page, it’s important to test the page thoroughly. Make sure all buttons and links are working properly, the page loads quickly, and there are no issues with mobile responsiveness. You can use tools like Google PageSpeed Insights or GTmetrix to check page speed and performance.
Not considering the user journey:
It’s important to remember that the cart page is a crucial step in the user journey. Users should be able to easily add items to their cart, view their cart contents, and proceed to checkout without any confusion or frustration. Make sure the design and functionality of your cart page are aligned with the rest of your site’s user experience.
Not optimizing for conversions:
While the cart page should be user-friendly, it’s also important to optimize for conversions. This means including clear calls-to-action, using persuasive copy, and showcasing related products or promotions that might entice the user to make a purchase.
Not taking into account different devices:
With so many users accessing e-commerce sites from mobile devices, it’s important to ensure that your cart page is optimized for mobile. This means testing the page on different devices and screen sizes, and making sure that the design and functionality are consistent across all platforms.
To ensure a successful customization process, it’s important to plan out your changes carefully, test thoroughly, and prioritize user experience and conversions. By avoiding these common pitfalls, you can create a cart page that helps drive sales and improve your site’s overall performance.
Customizing your cart page can have numerous benefits for your e-commerce store, including improving user experience, standing out in a crowded market, and increasing conversions. By optimizing your cart page, you can provide a seamless and enjoyable shopping experience for your customers, leading to higher sales and more loyal customers.
If you’re an e-commerce store owner, now is the time to start customizing your cart page. Whether you’re looking to update the design, add new features, or optimize for conversions, taking the time to improve your cart page can pay off in a big way.
If you’re unsure where to start, consider seeking out a professional consultation or researching best practices for cart page customization. Don’t let common pitfalls hold you back from creating the best cart page for your customers.
As a call-to-action, we encourage readers to share their own experiences customizing their cart pages. What worked well for you, and what challenges did you face? We’d love to hear your stories and learn from your experiences.
Additionally, if you need help getting started with customizing your cart page, we offer a free consultation to help you identify the best strategies and tools for your store. Contact us today to learn more!